Summer reading program to award eight children with money for college | Community Spirit
(FOX 19) – Children participating in summer reading programs will have a chance to be awarded $1,000 for college as part of the Destination College Savings Sweepstakes this summer.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives and the Kentucky Education Savings Plan Trust will sponsor the sweepstakes that awards $1000 for college savings to eight Kentucky children and $500 to their local library for future reading programs. The give-a-way is part of libraries’ 2011 Summer Reading Program across the commonwealth.
When kids sign up for the Summer Reading Program parents can fill out a form to enter their children in the sweepstakes. The sweepstakes runs for children 18 and younger June 1 to Aug. 9.
Over 100,000 children participate in summer reading programs statewide each summer, says Heather Dieffenbach, a children and youth consultant at the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives. She says the sweepstakes aims to encourage summer reading and saving for college early.
Copyright 2011 FOX19. All rights reserved.
Top Campbell County Stories
Upcoming Events near Campbell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Rolling Thunder sendoff held at Yellow Ribbon Support Center
- Pierce Township man promoted to Metro’s Director of Transit Operations
- Police investigate gunshot near Union Twp. school
- Click It or Ticket in Clermont County
- Emergency Preparedness Exercise in Miami Township May 22 - This event is ONLY AN EXERCISE