Open burning ban coming to Northern Kentucky | Environment
INDEPENDENCE, KY (FOX19) - Beginning on May 1st 2012 the Kentucky Environmental Protection Cabinet has issued a ban on open burning in the Northern Kentucky counties of Boone, Campbell and Kenton. These counties have been designated as non attainment for ozone and particulate matter; open burning creates significant amounts of particulates.
The ban will be in effect through September 30, 2012, and then beginning on October 1st 2012 the Kentucky Department of Forestry has a ban established as the fire hazard season. This ban makes it unlawful to set a fire within one-hundred and fifty feet (150’) of any woodland, except between the hours of 6pm and 6am local time or when the ground is covered with snow.
The ban set forth by the Kentucky Environmental Protection Cabinet has the following exceptions, unless open burning violates Commonwealth of Kentucky laws or local ordinances:
(1) Fires set for cooking food for human consumption.
(2) Fires set for fire hazard prevention.
(3) Fires set for bona fide firefighter training.
(4) Fires set for recognized agricultural and wildlife management.
(5) Fires set for the purpose of disposing of accidental spills or leaks of petroleum products or other organic materials, if no other available and practical means of disposal is economically feasible. Permission from the Kentucky Environmental Protection cabinet shall be obtained prior to burning.
(6) Fires set for recreational or ceremonial purposes.
For its part, the Independence Fire District will not issue any burn permits for open burning during the Kentucky Environmental Protection Cabinet’s ban on open burning.
People in other areas should contact their local fire department prior to any burning to obtain a burn permit and to find out if any additional burn bans are currently in effect.
Copyright 2012 WXIX. All rights reserved.
Top Campbell County Stories
Upcoming Events near Campbell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police pursuit in Batavia ends in accident
- Advance Auto Parts opening new store in Eastgate
- Fallen Heroes Memorial groundbreaking held in Clermont Co.
- Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Clermont County Fallen Heroes Memorial - 5/14 at 10am
- Free & Secure Community Shred Day in Clermont County - May 18 from 9-12