Recipe Of The Day: Whole Roasted Turkey with Herbed Butter | Features
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - This recipe of the day will help you empress your family at Thanksgiving. Chef Caitlin MacEachen Steininger and the team from Cooking with Caitlin are make cooking easy and fun for everyone! Chef Caitlin explains how to make Whole Roasted Turkey with Herbed Butter.
This whole roasted turkey recipe will give you confidence when preparing your next Thanksgiving meal. This turkey recipe is super easy to make, loaded with sumptuous flavor and smells as delicious as it tastes. Sweet Potato Dauphinois is a great side to this whole roasted turkey or try Garlic Mashed Potatoes to make your Thanksgiving meal complete.
- Yield: 16
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 210 minutes
- 13 Pound Whole Turkey
- 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Apple Butter
- 10 Leaves Fresh Sage
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 6 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 10 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 3 Sticks Butter – salted
- Add these items to your shopping list on Cozi.com
1. Combine apple cider vinegar with apple butter, salt and sage. Stir.
2. Put the liquid on the stove and bring to a boil. Once you can start to smell the flavors, turn down to medium low heat and let simmer.
1. Combine fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and finely chop.
2. Heat butter in microwave in 20 second intervals, or until butter is soft (not melted).
3. With your hands, combine the rosemary and thyme with the butter.
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Remove the gizzards and the neck from the turkey.
3. Separate the skin of the bird from the meat by reaching your hands under the skin. Be sure to get all sides of the bird.
4. Take small palm-sized balls of butter, broken into nuggets and put it under the skin. Do this all over the bird, and be sure to spread it in the wings and thighs as well. Put a palm-sized ball of butter in the inner cavity, and be sure to rub any additional butter on top of the bird.
5. Spoon 1/3 of the basting liquid on top of the bird.
6. Cook the turkey for 3 – 3.5 hours. Once every hour, remove the turkey from the oven and apply more of the basting liquid to the turkey. This liquid will make the skin turn dark but do not be alarmed, the bird is not burnt!
7. In the last 1/2 hour, cover the burnt!
8. In the last 1/2 hour, cover the bird with tin foil.
9. Carve and serve (if you need tips, be sure to watch my video oncooking tips
- Be sure to rub the butter under all parts of the skin! You want every part of the bird to have a lot of flavor.
- Always be sure to check the temperature of the turkey – do not just rely on the pre-inserted thermometers that come with the turkey. You want your internal temperature to be 180 degrees.
- Be sure to watch my video on how to carve a turkey!
Top Campbell County Stories
Upcoming Events near Campbell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police pursuit in Batavia ends in accident
- Advance Auto Parts opening new store in Eastgate
- Fallen Heroes Memorial groundbreaking held in Clermont Co.
- Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Clermont County Fallen Heroes Memorial - 5/14 at 10am
- Free & Secure Community Shred Day in Clermont County - May 18 from 9-12