FRANKFORT, KY (FOX19) - As outdoor winter temperatures drop and the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning increases, Kentuckians are urged to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning due to improper use of heating or cooking devices.
“Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly and should be taken seriously,” said Steve Davis, M.D., acting Kentucky Department for Public Health (DPH) commissioner. “We urge Kentuckians to take steps to prevent exposure to carbon monoxide by avoiding the use of gasoline-powered stoves or charcoal grills as indoor sources of heat. It can be a matter of life or death.”
In 2010, there were 206 emergency room visits for Kentucky residents related to carbon monoxide exposures, he said.