Budget inclusion would fund Newport riverbank | News
NEWPORT, Ky. (AP) - A large washout caused by storm water running off of Interstate 471 in Newport could soon be fixed.
A $1.8 million appropriation included the Kentucky House of Representatives version of the state transportation budget would address the problem, which has continued from the late 1970s.
A notch has formed along 186 feet from the end of a drainage culvert to the Ohio River. Southbank Partners President Jack Moreland said a lot of water moves with great force from the large pipe during heavy rains. It has carved out a large notch near the border of Newport and Bellevue.
The planned project will reclaim part of the shoreline and make it into green space. That will aid a proposed walking and biking trail along the riverfront.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Top Campbell County Stories
Upcoming Events near Campbell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police pursuit in Batavia ends in accident
- Advance Auto Parts opening new store in Eastgate
- Fallen Heroes Memorial groundbreaking held in Clermont Co.
- Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Clermont County Fallen Heroes Memorial - 5/14 at 10am
- Free & Secure Community Shred Day in Clermont County - May 18 from 9-12